Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Ninth Week- First Appointment



I feel a bit less anxious now. I had my first OBGYN appointment yesterday for the pregnancy, and everything looks good.

If you're interested, this is what happened. If you're not, skip this paragraph! :) In the beginning, the nurse asked me if I wanted to do certain tests for diseases (in myself) because if I was positive for them, they would harm the baby. Most of them were STD's, so if only have one partner, thy're not necessary. When the doctor came in, she started off by asking me about family history of high blood pressure, ovarian/breast cancer, cardiovascular disorders, and diabetes. She then asked how I've been feeling, and what symptoms I've had. She did an exterior exam (just felt my belly) and when I asked her what that would show her, said that if I had a cyst, or if a bowel was inflamed, she would be able to feel it from the outside. She then did an internal exam just to make sure my uterus is enlarged (indicating that the pregnancy is progressing). Mine was definitely enlarged, she said. She gave me a list of foods I can't eat: lunchmeat only once a week, no fish, shellfish only once a week, no hotdogs, no caffeine. She also said if i have a cat, not to change the litter box, and if I garden, to wear gloves-this is in order to prevent toxemia. One of my questions was about prenatal vitamins: I've been taking CVS brand and wanted to know if they were sufficient. She prescribed me a different one-- this one has a particular fatty acid in it that helps with brain development. The fatty acid would come from fish, but since I can't eat it I won't get it. I asked her about the possibility of twins, as they run in the family, and she said that the ultrasound will either confirm or deny whether there is more than one. She told me about exercise; if I've been exercising it's ok to continue (walking/running/non-strenuous). The goal is not to overheat, so if I feel myself getting really hot or really tired, stop. No hottubs is another rule; also because of overheating. Last but not least, the due date is December 24th. Depending on the measurement of the baby at the ultrasound, it could be earlier or later. As of right now, though, Christmas Eve it is! So that was it! It was short and sweet!

This weekend we are going to tell Keith's family about the pregnancy. We made Spencer, Wesley, and Brandon (brothers-in-law) shirts that say "say uncle" on them, and are going to have them wear the shirts around until people start to get the hint. If it takes too long, and no one catches on, we'll just blurt it out. I can't wait! Telling people is the fun part. :) Our first ultrasound is Tuesday May 22. We can't wait! After that, we're going to tell my mom and dad's sides of the family. Dad told me he already 'slipped up' to Uncle Dennis yesterday. Hopefully he doesn't tell! So excited for the ultrasound! Can't wait to see our little peanut!! Or peanuts??

This week has been pretty easy, except for the fatigue. I spend most of the days tired, and have been way too busy to go home and nap. Last night I had a ton to do and laid down for a nap at 7:30. I slept the whole night through. It was wonderful! I feel refreshed today, but surprisingly I'm still getting tired now and then. Tomorrow marks the end of the ninth week and start of the 10th! These weeks are just flying by! Tune in next week for ultrasound pix of baby Collier!

No comments: