Friday, December 14, 2007

39 Weeks: The beginning of the end


39 weeks tomorrow, and only 10 days of the pregnancy remaining! I was all anxious and hoping I would deliver early, but being in the midst of today, and realizing that I only have 10 days left (unless I go later), and realizing those 10 days will fly has made me let go of those anxieties and try to enjoy these last precious days of feeling my little peanut inside my belly, and sleeping in. I think I’ll miss the sensations of him moving- a constant reassurance of his wellbeing. But I cannot wait to meet him!! I know I’m naïve to the changes that will happen in my life, but I intend to take it day-by-day and learn as much as I can.

Wednesday, I had a bloody show. If this is TMI for you, stop reading here, but it is basically lots of blood-tinged mucous that indicates that your cervix is dilating and effacing. It can signal that labor is days/weeks away. Again, like every other “sign”, it is hardly definitive. If nothing else, it’s a sign that we’re progressing in the right direction, and at this point, that’s all I can hope for! I actually had to go to the hospital yesterday. I had a bit of spotting, and the day before I heard that mysterious ‘pop’ once again. Afraid the two could be related I called the doctor, who told me to get it checked out. I was on the monitor for a while and the baby was not showing signs of stress. They were also monitoring my contractions; yes, I was having them. I’ve been having them all this time, and simply mistook the feeling for the baby stretching. In all actuality, that sensation comes from the uterus contracting around the baby, thus hugging him and making it feel like he was stretching. I saw Dr. Hamilton while I was in the hospital and she said that if I wanted her to, she could check me internally to see about progress. When I told her that I’d rather not endure the discomfort, if she doesn’t think it’s necessary, she said that was a good choice on my part, as her checking could encourage more bleeding. She said the bleeding could very well be a sign of my cervix dilating, and “who knows- labor could be this weekend!”. She said the situation is favorable, and the baby is the lowest she’s ever seen, so it’s definitely a possibility! I would like for her to be the one to deliver, and she is on call this weekend.On a different note, today is the last day of work! YAAAAAAY! I cannot WAIT—I’m pretty uncomfortable today, with pressure from the baby being low. I’m sitting here practically spread eagle so my belly has somewhere to go! Oh this is all so exciting! J

A sweet man just came into the office and left me with an encouraging blessing, “May God bless you and give you such an incredible birth that you will remember that God did it”.

1 comment:

Jenn's Blog said...

suz I just love reading this. It's like the best story unraveling!! I feel like I'm reliving all this. I can not wait to see this little guy!! You are almost there:) I am praying for your labor and delivery. Your gonna be great!